Sunday, November 13, 2011

Coming out of the Shutter

I've been hiding behind the 'shutter' for quite some time now.

A few years ago I'd be posting every photo I took on facebook without edits or thought to quality.
After I realized how this looked and that it'd be better to pick and choose which photos to show to the world if I wanted to improve myself and my photography I stopped posting for a while. Actually, I became a bit overwhelmed with the post-editing aspect of photography as I'd see so many AMAZING photos done in post editing yet mine always (in my mind) lacked the punch. I wanted to create what I saw in magazines and the media. These amazing portraits and works of arts that make you just go wow.

It took me quite a while and I'm still coming to terms with the idea that these photos I'm seeing are somebody elses. They're great to get inspiration from and great to learn from but it's pointless to compare. I must develop myself and my own style if I want to create a 'masterpiece'. So over the past year and a half I began clicking my shutter on my new Canon 550D. Occasionally I'd take out the Canon slr rebel 2000 for some black and white photography. I've been in search and am still developing my unique 'look' and 'style' that all 'great' photographers have.

I've heard that it usually comes when you least expect it, almost like an 'ah-ha!' moment when you begin noticing a pattern and comfort with what you are doing. For some it comes after a short while but for many it can take years to really develop.

No matter how long it takes me, I figure it'd be nice to have some moral support and perhaps some commercial opportunities so I have finally opened a photography page on facebook to showcase some of my best work. Facebook is the best medium these days next to twitter for dispersing and sharing information. I look forward to sharing my work as I create it and hopefully inspire others to travel and pursue their own photography while also invite those that would like to be photographed or work with me in a project.

It was about time I came out of the shutter after receiving my first SLR in 2003 when I took my first beginners film photography course.

So for those of you that have been shy about showing your work or having your photo taken, I invite you to come out of the shutter and express yourselves through photography.





Welcome to Joshua Sterrett Photography




No comments:

Post a Comment